We need volunteers in Yorkshire to help us change this.
- Reading age improves by an average of 12 months after just 10 hours of support
- 96% of young people demonstrated an improved performance in reading
- 82% of young people showed a more positive attitude to reading
“Reading Matters’ Reading Mentors help immeasurably with children’s confidence. I can see by the way the students are behaving in the corridors, the way they get on with their peers in the classroom and their relationships with teachers.” Sue Barraclough, Immanuel Community College, Bradford
Our Reading Mentors work with two school pupils each term. They usually support each pupil for two sessions lasting 30 minutes each week, therefore two hours in total.
Becoming a Reading Matters’ Reading Mentor is also a positive thing for you! You will benefit from giving your time to help others, learn new skills and have the chance to meet and make friends with other volunteers.
As a volunteer Reading Matters Reading Mentor, we will provide you all the support and guidance you need:
- A placement in a school or setting convenient to you
- One day accredited Reading Mentor training
- Full training pack and resources
- Reimbursement of travel expenses
- Termly resource pack
- Supply of recommended reading resources and activities
- Invitations to termly top-up training and support events
- Accreditation in Supporting Reading Skills, Level 2
- On-going support from our dedicated Reading Mentor Service Manager
- Long service certificates
Please get in touch and find out how you can make a difference, today!